Guidance on making referrals
This section offers public librarians who are operating the Libraries & Learners in London scheme guidance on referring their readers into very specialised libraries.
For suggested routes into participating academic libraries click here.
Guidance on referring readers to Medical Libraries
Medical libraries face particular challenges when dealing with enquiries from the general public. There is always a fine line, recognised by information professionals, between giving information and advice, but the implications in the field of medicine are more serious than in other areas.
Academic medical libraries should probably be viewed as �libraries of the last resort� and members of the public could be encouraged to consult more appropriate resources listed below:
- The enquirer�s GP
- NHS Direct 0845 4647 or http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/
- Nurse practitioners
- To find relevant charities, go to the Charity Commission home page at
- Click on About Registered Charities at the top of the page,
- Click on Search the register,
- Scroll down, then select the type of search you need,
- Run search.
- Local self help groups, support groups
However if there is still a genuine need for the facilities of a specialist medical library, please refer the reader to participating Academic or Special Libraries through the LLiL scheme.