Here, at YourDictionary, our goal is to be the most reliable, clear English resource on the internet. We’re a dictionary and language website (with over 20 years of authority and history) for you, our readers.
Whether you’re a teacher, parent, homeschooler, student, writer, English learner, or just an everyday person who loves learning about the English language, your understanding is the top priority for our dedicated team of educational experts. Our extensive definition, synonym, antonym, example, and reference article libraries are updated regularly, so you aren’t missing out on any relevant information about our words and their meanings.
At YourDictionary, we put your learning first and prioritize making the world smarter. The YourDictionary team is passionate about words and language. Our passion helps us explain the nuances of English in easy, relatable ways, so you can understand how to use words, phrases, and even punctuation better.
This means that no matter what part of the English language you’re trying to figure out, we’re putting 110% of our effort into ensuring our guides are easy to read, full of accurate, fact-checked information, and suited to satisfy your curiosity. Our goal will always be to provide the best and easiest learning experience for you: one word at a time.
Who We Are
If it’s related to words and language, YourDictionary has it covered.
Our team of educators, linguists, journalists, professional writers, editors, publishers, designers, and website developers has produced:
- thousands of easy-to-read, fact-checked grammar and reference articles about the English language
- millions of definitions, synonyms, antonyms, example sentences, and more information about English words
- an inclusive, accessible, easy-to-use website for language learners
- constant updates to our content using verified and authoritative sources and fact-checking practices
Create a YourDictionary account and save your favorite words on the site, so you can reference them whenever you need them. We're continuing to customize the YourDictionary experience for every one of our readers, so you can pick and choose what's most helpful to you when you visit.
YourDictionary is a proud member of the LoveToKnow Media family of digital properties.
Meet the Team
YourDictionary’s leadership and editorial staff work with a world-class group of designers and engineers to deliver an accessible reference site that empowers language learners.
Language Leadership Team
With a combined background in digital publishing, content strategy, website creation, product management, SEO, and linguistics, YourDictionary’s language leadership team ensures our website is the best it can be for our readers. The team's combined passion for language translates into content that is factually correct and easy to understand.
Howard Love: Founder (Website | Wikipedia | Crunchbase)
- Howard founded LoveToKnow Media in 2005 with the stated mission of making the world smarter. He’s been founding, funding, and managing startups for over 30 years. His first book, The Startup J-Curve, drew praise from Entrepreneur, Inc, MSNBC, and Venturebeat.
Ethan Trex: CEO
- Ethan joined YourDictionary in 2021 and is now CEO of LoveToKnow Media. Before that, he spent 11 years at Mental Floss as President and Editorial Director. He is still mad about coming in second in his fourth-grade spelling bee.
Debbie Vasen: Chief Content Officer
- Debbie currently leads all content initiatives and directives for LoveToKnow Media. Her passion for content and digital products combine in her ideas and strategies that enhance YourDictionary’s website offerings.
Mark MacKenzie: General Manager
- Prior to joining YourDictionary, Mark spent 12 years at Bonnier Corp where he held several leadership positions including Editorial Director and Digital Director. He brings a passionate and long-standing commitment to driving innovation and excellence in the digital space.
Candice Bradley: Director of Content Strategy
- Before joining YourDictionary, Candice worked on content production and strategy for UC Berkeley, Grove Collaborative, and Dictionary.com. Her focus on digital content and her love of language keeps leading her back to the dictionary.
Michele Meleen: Staff Editor
- Michele's background in education and children's programming has fueled almost a decade of professional writing and editing where she aims to keep learning and helping others. You can read more of her work at LoveToKnow.com.
Alya Hameed: Linguistics & Brand Editor
- Alya’s educational and professional background has led her through the hallways of academia, publishing, children’s education, and more. She has a particular fondness for young people's literature, and carries that sense of curiosity, wonder, and play into all her projects. Before joining YourDictionary, Alya worked at UC Berkeley and Dictionary.com.
Jennifer Gunner: Staff Writer
- Jennifer believes that using proper grammar is a true superpower — and one that's not exclusive to superheroes! She began her career teaching middle and high school English before becoming a writer for YourDictionary.com.
Alvin Park: Staff Writer
- Alvin has been a writer for YourDictionary since 2022, but he has been a professional writer for as long as he can remember. Since his days of writing bad poetry in his Livejournal, Alvin has learned a lot about researching, fact checking, and explaining complex topics in easy ways. He previously worked as an associate editor for an online lit mag, Little Fiction.
Claudia Boone: Copywriter
- Claudia has a degree in advertising and mass communication from one of the top 25 advertising programs in the country. A creative at heart, her expertise lies in copywriting, social media, and site development. She dreams of owning her own farm and has a hard time letting go of the Oxford Comma.
Stefan Bott: Computational Linguist (ReasearchGate | Google Scholar)
- Stefan is a linguist who started out as a theoretical linguistic researcher but gradually evolved into a computational linguist and data scientist. He studied at the University of Tübingen before earning his PhD at the Pompeu Fabra University in Barcelona. Contrary to what his name suggests, he is a human being.
Karina Goto: Image Specialist
- Before joining LoveToKnow Media, Karina had been designing for over 15 years for magazines and design studios. She has also published her own typography, Momoiro.
Maryna Budnik: UX/UI Designer
- Maryna is constantly evaluating the design of YourDictionary to make sure it is accessible for all of your users and displays information about words in language in ways that are easy to navigate and read.
Our Editorial Guidelines
Because of our mission to help make the world smarter, our team takes extra precautions to ensure maximum accuracy in every single one of our articles and English definitions. They’re rigorously fact-checked, edited, and updated to include the most recent, accurate, and relevant information, spellings, audio pronunciations, example sentences, and word origins.
YourDictionary’s original article and explainer content is created by our professional in-house editorial team consisting of professional educators, writers, and editors. Our goal is to help you learn how to use language correctly in your writing, conversation, and at work or school.
We want to show our readers that subjects that may sound boring can actually be fascinating, and that topics that seem too difficult to understand aren’t so tricky if they're explained clearly and factually.
YourDictionary and YourDictionary’s thesaurus content brings together 16 authoritative sources of definitions, meanings, synonyms, and antonyms including:
- Webster’s New World College Dictionary
- The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
- Webster’s New World Finance and Investment Dictionary
- Webster’s New World Law Dictionary
- Webster’s New World Dictionary of Quotations
- American Heritage Science Dictionary
- American Heritage Dictionary of Medicine
- American Heritage Spanish Dictionary
- Encyclopedia of World Biography
- Webster’s New World Roget’s A-Z Thesaurus
- Webster’s New World Hacker Dictionary
- Webster’s New World Telecom Dictionary
- YourDictionary original definitions created by professional linguists
- Computer language created by computational linguists
See our Editorial Policies to learn more about our rigorous editorial processes and standards for each article, definition, synonym, sentence, and article you see on YourDictionary.
YourDictionary empowers over 24 million language learners to write and speak more clearly and confidently each month.
Feedback from our audience of word enthusiasts:
“This is my go-to source. I use it often, and I am grateful for having such a wonderful tool at my fingertips.”
“The best examples of sentences I have ever seen. Period. Keep it up.”
“This is the most helpful website I have found!"
We love suggestions and feedback from readers!
Connect with YourDictionary on social platforms:
About LoveToKnow Media
At LoveToKnow Media, we know there’s nothing better than feeling smarter, which is why we help our readers continously learn. We reach global audiences with empowering, clear content that informs and inspires. Beyond YourDictionary, LovetoKnow Media includes:
- LoveToKnow: Clear, comprehensive, and credible, our content celebrates curiosity and satiates inquiring minds. LoveToKnow is the digital destination for the information you need and love to know.
- WordFinder™ by YourDictionary: The ultimate word finder tool to help you know the perfect play in your favorite online word games.
- GolfLink: The most inclusive online golf community, GolfLink offers players of every skill level access to resources to enjoy the game, including information on more than 20,000 golf courses and tee times.
- Bibliography: Take the stress out of citations with a quick, automatic, and easy-to-use bibliography maker. Any project can be top-notch with Bibliography.